Sunday, August 16, 2009

Film Fascination


A while ago I made a list of movies that I looked forward to seeing in 2009. Most of them are still yet to come out. And there are others like G.I. Joe that were not worthy. But I think that it is time for me to put in my two cents about those movies that have come out and are, deservingly, on the list.

The Hangover was hilarious. The whole thing coming off to me as an homage to Zach Galifinakis' stand up routines. Public Enemies was good, but it wasn't The Untouchables. However Sam Mendes' Away We Go was funny, charming, emotional, and extremely true to life. It also hosted some great tunes by the likes of the Stranglers, Bob Dylan, and The Velvet Underground.

I don't know how good Wild Things will be, but Dave Eggers seems to be doing pretty well in the screenwriting world as well as holding his own as a writer/novelist and editor of McSweeney's. I loved Away We Go and highly recommend it.

Some other movies that will be watched this year and should have made the list are Duncan Jones' Moon, Woody Allen's Whatever Works, and Jim Jarmusch's Limits of Control.

No comments:

Post a Comment