Saturday, August 8, 2009

Alex Kanevsky






I heard someone once say that Francis Bacon has had more of impact on the contemporary art scene than Pablo Picasso. Although, I don't believe this, it is interesting to see his impact on art today. Alex Kanevsky's paintings definitely make me think of Francis Bacon. While these figure studies layer skeletal, shadow, and contour, his paintings mix thick brush stokes and almost pixelated texture. With an added bonus, I will not only post how and why this artist inspires me, but also what inspires him.

In an interview Kanevsky said this,

"Everything. All first-hand experiences. John Adams wrote a beautiful composition titled "Naive and Sentimental Music". He took this title from a Friedrich Schiller essay "On Naive and Sentimental Poetry". Schiller decided that there are really just two kinds of artists: naive and sentimental. Naive artist works with the first-hand experiences, uncompromised by self-analysis. Sentimental are works that are self-aware of their place in history, theory, etc. One usually sees this kind of work accompanied by an artist statement. I think I am more naive than sentimental in the things that inspire me."

And it is people like this who inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment