Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Long Time, No Post

Well, it's been a while since I posted anything here. And not really for any good reasons. The truth is that I have been spending most of my time on the Internet using my iPad, which is not all that compatible with the Blogger website. And since Blogger doesn't have an App it makes it more of a task to update my blog. But I am working on a way to make it happen. At least until I get a new laptop, which hopefully will be soon.

Although it has been a while, I have a few blogs that should have been posted throughout these forgotten months. And though I will be posting those, like one on all the vinyl I have been buying and another on my good friend Ryan's new website for his business A Boy Named Coy, I will be taking this time now to blog on about some new music that I find worth sharing.

All these groups are all female. And much like that sweet video that spread like wild fire across the internet of those two sweet Swedish girls, First Aid Kit, singing a cover of Fleet Foxes' Tiger Mountain Peasant Song, the melodies and harmonies here are sheer pleasures for the ears.

First is Mountain Man, which gives one the aural pleasure equal to the visual experience of Robert Redford in Jeremiah Johnson. These three girls sing a cappella songs that you swear were accompanied by symphonies conducted by Van Dyke Parks. Even the songs with the simple instrumentation of an acoustic guitar are filled with hocketing and soulful background vocals that rival the tribal and Appalachian folk influences that make the Dirty Projectors one of the best bands out there right now.

NPR has done a couple of interviews with them. Even one of my favorite musical blogs did a piece on them. Their one album Made the Harbor is well worth buying. I am currently waiting on my vinyl in the mail. This video shows a glimpse of their prowess. Enjoy!

Mountain Man - Play It Right from Bella Union on Vimeo.

Next is Warpaint. Warpaint has been around for a while. And I am thankful to my good friend Pete for introducing me to them. I got their first album the way of true musical sharing, a burned copy from a friend. Which in our time is as good as a cassette tape (which I still love by the way). This all female shoegaze band has more hype behind them then I think they know what to do with. And what I mean by that is that they have so much hype, but it lacks the touring and radio play behind them to make them popular. Only with their latest release has their hype started to make its way public and is making them known. All I can is give these girls a chance. You may like what you hear.

Finally, Alela Diane and Alina Hardin have done an EP under the name Alela and Alina. One of the best songs is a Townes Van Zandt cover of Rake. This was a vinyl and download only release. Which is really a great way to go when it comes to music nowadays. I mean not a whole lot of people want to fill up their shelves with space along with their hard drives. But there is always room for more vinyl. At lease that is what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment