Monday, August 16, 2010

Movies Revisited

Summertime at the Yuba
Well, with the Nevada City Film Festival coming up I am getting more and more excited for films. Especially the ones that I had forgot I put on that top ten list all those months back. Honestly, I haven't even thought of this blog all that much in the last few months. But that is more due to my brain being ravaged by chemotherapy and my body slowly deteriorating under the constant intravenous poisonings that I had scheduled in place of my grandiose Summer adventures.

I did see the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus and can say that I will be sad if it truly is Terry Gilliam's last and final film. It was good. It was great on some levels, but I still want to see what he has to create over the next years of his life. Almost all the other films on that list haven't even been released yet. Some, like Paul, won't even make it out until next year. I have yet to see Inception and opted out of Alice in Wonderland. Both seemed over hyped or under rated in the moment for me to make the effort.

But now I must make some amendments to the list. Not for films that I have seen, but ones that just need to be added. Even if it no longer makes it a "top ten." Julian Schnabel's Miral will be added if for nothing else than out of respect for his previous films. Sofia Coppola's Somewhere could be added for the same reason. Also of note, Kelly Reichardt's Meek's Cutoff, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, The Green Hornet, The Social Network, and TRON.

Most of all I am excited at the prospect of one of my favorite actors, Kieren Culken, getting back into the acting biz. I didn't even know he had done something new until I saw his name in the credits for Scott Pilgrim. He was in a great indie flick with his younger brother called Lymelife last year. Now he has a few more movies in the works. After seeing him in the Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys and Igby Goes Down I was convinced of his acting prowess. I would dare say I hadn't seen anything that beat it until Paul Dano started showing off his skills in There Will Be Blood and Gigantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment