Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Breaksea Caravel

When I was living in Minneapolis I was quickly introduced to a group called Breaksea Caravel. They were described as being a gypsy pirate romp, music to listen to on the high seas, a theatrical klezmer infused carnival orchestra. However people described them I knew that I had to see them. All I can say is they lived up to the hype. Which is why I didn't say no when I was asked to play percussion for them.

At the time Nik the accordion player was playing percussion as well. He was also sharing the responsibilities with everyone else in the band. The cellist played a typewriter. The bass player also played miscellaneous drums. Even the clarinet player ring, pound, or hit something for sound.

You would here hints of a waltz, or a tango, even a wedding dance here and there. Soon the bands members ebbed and flowed until there was an accordion, a clarinet, a violin, a bass, guitar, drum, and percussion. We all sang, stomped, clapped, and danced. The sound grew to include influences of Godspeed, Gorecki, sailor klezmer, roma gypsy, folk noir, and avant theater. With our own bicycle powered lighting and moving waves on stage we did all that we could to enhance the experience. We even wrote a whole show around a Butcher and an all but lost childhood dream. For us the possibilities were endless.

Pictured: Nikolas, Christa, Isaac, and Noah from font to back

We made three albums. Anchor, Whale, and Home. We practiced when we could, played shows when we could, and recorded rarely. Between our worldly travels and other musical ventures I would have to say we did our best. We played in multiple countries in Europe and quite a few states. All together I loved it. I have not played with the band since I moved to California, but it doesn't bother me too much since our Violin player is in Deutschland currently. Which is kind of like California, but with more beer. Soon, I'm sure, we will find all ourselves together again creating the old sounds just as we were always meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment