Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I digress... often.

I found this written in a notebook I kept when I still lived in Minneapolis.


The wind took my receipts away from me.
I didn't care. They were not important receipts,
not like the ones you keep for tax purposes.
These fell out of a bag stamped GEEK in large red letters.
I had been buying comics from the local supplier.
They don't let you leave discreetly.

My bus came, but I waved it on.
It was my day off.
And the next one came in 20 minutes.
I decided I wanted to keep writing.
So I walked to the nearest park.
To sit, and write, and muse until the next bus came.

Its too hard to write on the bus.
Even though there is plenty to write about.
Such interesting conversations can be overheard.
My writing is too small
or the ride is too tumultuous
Either way I cannot concentrate. So alas, I digress.

In between buses I have the unforeseeable amount
of time to document the lunacies observed from those
steel bars and vinyl seats. I once witnessed a black woman
wearing hot pants in hot weather. Her weave was slightly
discolored from the rest of her hair. You could tell when the
sun refracted through the windows. There was a glow like
a halo around the weave that made it obvious. I saw her
reading Dave Egger's What Is the What. Which is what I
thought to be listed on stuff white people like. My only
response was an audible, "What?"

No comments:

Post a Comment