Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Best Finds of 2009


I love lists. Already I am composing a Most Anticipated Films of 2010. But before I get too far ahead of myself, I have to duly note that this is now a time for reflection as well as foresight. Hence, I will do my best to compose the best things that came into my knowledge, possession, and attention over the past year. In no certain order...

Grouper - Liz Harris has rocked my world when it comes to new tunes. I was even graced with the ability to see her play at Heck Fest in July. Many other musicians and albums will follow on this list, but getting Dragging a Dead Deer on vinyl was a true highlight of the past year.

The Kitchen - While on Orcas Island up in the Sound of Washington State we got to eat twice at a moderately fast Asian food restaurant called The Kitchen. Serving all local produce and supporting all the Organic farms in the area (even using edible flowers to garnish the dishes) the food brought out the best of the Northwestern Banana Belt. They used completely recyclable utensils and dishes and even gave discounts for bringing your own plates and silverware. A note that will not be forgotten when we return. Also, the food was amazing! Sesame topped rice cakes, crispy kale, and garlic ginger noodle soup. The place did not only challenge the way I view the possibilities of eating out, but also my palate. I have done my best to mimic those meals and have never quite succeeded. But I have savored every attempt.

Rouge Spruce Gin - enough said.

Silver Lake/Echo Park - I will admit that in the past I could be vast quoted for saying that L.A. is a shit hole. But times change and so have my opinions. This year I decided to challenge my beliefs about L.A. and take a couple chances on a city that I never thought had any redeeming value. And I was pleasantly surprised. Especially with the Silver Lake/Echo Park area. Honestly, there were times when in this rare nook of L.A. that I felt like I was in Portland or Minneapolis. It was not what I expected from L.A. It was not like Hollywood or Downtown. I found comfort in some sweet quaint little shops. Soap Plant, Echo Curio, and Intelligentsia all welcomed me in and helped change my opinion of a town that I would, now, gladly return to and visit in the future.

Dead Western
- Troy Mighty exemplifies many of the ideals that I have when it comes to music. His songs are low-fi with broad landscapes and have beautifully poetic lyrics. His vocals may sound like you have your vinyl speed setting set too slow and his facial expressions are more dramatic than edarem, but that makes his performances all the more memorable.

Max Richter
- I had heard of him before, but I had never ventured into his music. 24 Post Cards in Full Colour drew me in on it's premise of being intended to be played as cell phone ring tones. (Although, in my opinion, it sounds better on vinyl.) The vignettes are beautifully composed. This album almost gets as much play from me as Rachel's Systems/Layers did when I first got that. And it has led me to Richter's other work, which is reason enough to put it on this list.

Mushroom Hunting - I have been mushroom hunting before in MN, but never with such tenacity and base knowledge as I have taken with me into the Berkeley hills to dig out multiple pounds of chanterelles and hen of the woods. I can't wait to get some morels, candy caps, or black trumpets.

Le Merle - This North Coast Brewery ale is honestly one of the best beers I have ever tasted. A Belgian Style Saison Farmhouse Ale that was smooth and refreshing while still being complex and flavorful. It's finish was also one that I was not expecting to be as clean as it was. A truly great beer.

Midleton - Very Rare, indeed, is it that you ever find a whiskey such as this. Now, I love myself a good Scotch and even some Bourbon. I love single malts and blended alike, but when I ventured out enough to buy a shot of Midleton Irish Whiskey I was more than pleasantly surprised. This actually beat out the Bushmills 16 year that was still lingering on my tongue. This blended whiskey was masterfully blended and has only a limited quantity every year. Each bottle is hand signed. Each drop should was simply savored.

Found Poetry - This relates to an earlier post. But from all the time that I have spent copying and pasting posts from message boards, or transcribing overheard conversations into stanzas I know that the poems I "find" are awesome. And I am so glad that I read a NY Times article that opened my eyes to the amazing and unintentional beauty of everyday life.

Good Poems - After a long time coming, I finally picked up Garrison Kiellor's first book of collected poems. I am so glad that I did. Had I not, I would have not discovered the beautiful poetry of Tom Hennen, Kenneth Rexroth, WCW, and Raymond Carver. All names I had heard or seen, but never read. Now, I love them and can't get enough.

RAR Files, Third Party Video Streaming Websites, Webseries, Blogs, etc. - Thank you internet. Without you I would be drowning in a sea of boredom. These arbitrary things have given me entertainment through countless nights of solitude and sleeplessness. There are too many things to list individually so this compressed form will have to do.

The Magic Theater - This is more of a symbol than a physical place for me. This small art house theater exemplifies all the things, people, and places that have made returning to a small town enjoyable. I still love the city, but I also love the small town of my origins. And this little theater is one of those main reasons why I do.

There are many more things that could be listed here. Things that I may have not discovered in 2009, but did obsess over in the past year. There are certainly things that I forgot and things that should have been. But this list is about as long of one that I would want to read, so I will cut it off here and hope that 2010 has similar inspiring attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment