Monday, June 15, 2009

Getting Started in the Garden

You might say that we got a late start to planting the garden this year. But considering it is our first year and with the cool weather until recent I think we are going to be fine. Although, we are not using the space as efficiently as I think we could, it will make for an easy harvesting. Plus, we have the space. I hope the garden will be a little more crowded next year.


We have planted a lot of squash, cucumber, tomatoes, and peppers. I wanted to grow some tomatillos, but the seedlings died after they were accidentally dropped. Another exciting thing to try next year. We also planted corn, asparagus, broccoli, beans, peas, rhubarb, horseradish, potatoes, onions, leeks, lemongrass, basils, mints, parsley, thyme, rosemary, radishes, beets, salad greens, strawberries, and some other things that I am forgetting now.


There was one problem that we knew of before hand and for which we had made preparations. That is the infestation of critters who want to get at our plants. The deer and rabbits would most likely be stopped by the fence. Squrrils really are not that much of a problem here. But moles are. I have been sticking Juicy Fruit down their holes and that has been taking care of most of them. But some of them need an old fashioned remedy. So I consulted the Firefox Books. When one of them stuck its head out of my freshly planted crooked-neck squash mound I did as the Firefox book said and went for the pellet gun.


The little vermen didn't need to hold still for very long. I think it learned the lesson. Now I just need to teach the rest of its kin to stay out of my garden.


He was a cute little fella. I thought about tacking him up on the fence post as an example, but the little things are so blind anyways I don't think it would have mattered. So ends the first adventure of the garden.

I still think that Nate Berhausen's fourty foot rock pitch to take out a squirrel that wsa chewing on his garden rates the best for ways to deal with the pests. But I am no Nate Berhausen. In fact, I do believe there is only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment